Tuesday 11 March 2014

Birth of a Band 8

There has been some grumbling among the masses that I am coming across as something of a moaner! I’m sorry if that’s the case. I’m trying to get the history of this band down as accurately as I can – and with some humour. Believe me, I have never been happier in my life than I am at the moment – and playing with Custard Cream has been a huge part of that. If I come across as someone who is moaning, well… er… perhaps I’m a moany-sounding writer. I’ll try to be less moany if I can…

(smiley face)

So, after the Hope & Anchor gig, the next rehearsal was booked for June 8th and various documents were bandied about with attempts at descriptions of how to end the numbers tidily. I think everyone had a look at these, but I’m not sure how effective they were. The only thing that tightens a band up is playing together. Nothing else. Of course, you can practice alone and become extremely proficient, but it’s only when you go over the endings a few times together – whether at gigs or rehearsal – that you know what the others will do and trust them to do it.

Trust is a big, big part of playing in a band.

At this early stage in the band there was a lot of trust – and Nige was shaping up to be one of the best gig-getters I have ever known. In the ten days after the first gig, he came up with three new gigs and started talking about getting New Year and Christmas bookings… Although these would have to be as a trio because George would not be able to make it.

Our next gig was meant to be at the Dukes Head – also in Wokingham (I think it is Nige’s local) – on June 8th, but the landlord had a cancellation and he had a party of people coming in on the first, so he booked us for two Saturdays on the bounce,

Rehearsals were brought forward to the first. Actually, Nige later tried to get in an extra rehearsal before that, but both Angus and I were out of town. By the end of May, Nige had booked in a gig per week in June. It really felt as though we were taking off. Even I had managed to prise a date out of the reluctant Gez at The Chequers in Marlow.

This was a gig that was set up for 3-fold Arts, but with their demise, the gig had become an Oye Santana one, and Gez was not about to either let anyone else in (nor discuss any details with the management) for as long as he possibly could. In the end, a well paid gig for Oye came in on a ‘Chequers Friday’ and Custard Cream were in… Also our biggest payer to that date, too.

I started making some noise with my social media and personal contacts. I was sure we could start making sizable waves…

No comments:

Post a Comment