Tuesday 24 July 2012

Open Mics: Keeping Going 2

As I have tried to explain, there is no real rhyme or reason to an Open Mic Night, but it always seems to turn out all right in the end. How does this happen? I’m not sure, but I am determined to get to the bottom of it. At present, I am working on the idea that there is a window of opportunity at each gathering, through which (providing there are enough musicians and punters) enters the perfect blend of alcohol, material and talent, which then combine to create a great atmosphere.

Last Thursday’s (19th July) session at OD’s in Marlow was yet another variant on the theme – I’m beginning to wonder how many there can physically be!

The usual opening – with me, Andy Keys, Swampy Bass and Nick Geetar – was performed to about six or seven people. Sassy Lozza joined us after three numbers to do Mad World, Night Like This and Sweet Dreams and I got Skinny Hips up to take his regular introductory slot as I headed out to sort a running order. By this time a whole host of musos had arrived and I begged a pen and a piece of paper from the bar.

Harmonica Phil had showed, so Skinny Hips kept Andy and Nick and Swampy up to do a short blues set with him – and I’m grateful that he did.

The running order grew as I wrote it, as more and more musos arrived. In the end I had Andrew Williams, a new guy called Mario who did a couple of Nick Drake numbers, The Incredible Bailey Boys and Sassy Ann (five numbers combined), Jack the Laid Back (“this is a song about a friend of mine who is no longer with us”… Aaaaarrrrgggghhhh!), the wonderful Atomic Mutton, Slowhand Sally (bloody brilliant – stole the show that night with her cool versions and honeyed voice), Sandy the Power (usually the show stealer, but just pipped by Sally this week), Bill the Blues (in fine form), Country Frank and Big Billy, Slowhand Rob and then (hopefully, I was thinking) Diva Dad John to finish things off.

Phew! I don’t actually ever recall such a collection of worthy and eclectic performers. The variety was good, but the numbers were right there at the limit. I knew we would have to run over the half eleven ‘witching hour’.

Everyone was good, but (and here’s where my theory sneaks in) the party really got going when Atomic Mutton took the mics. The previous acts were great, but the alcohol wasn’t quite there. The alcohol reached optimum as the Bailey Boys and Annie performed, but Jack the Laid Back’s set didn’t have such well known songs. Atomic Mutton always sing classics – and with near-perfect harmonies – and this tipped the balance.

After this, it was a whirlwind of trying to get people up to the mic and then, very soon after, trying to get them off.

Poor old Frank and Billy suffered the most as I insisted that they perform just three songs together, but they took it well… I owe them one.

11:25pm and it is Slowhand Rob’s turn. Rob is a great singer with a loose guitar style and usually fits in nicely half way through the evening as a calmer. This week it looked as though he would be headlining and the last thing we needed was a calming set.

To his great credit, he read the situation perfectly and produced three big singalong numbers (Can’t take my eyes of you, Sweet Caroline and one other) and the audience went bloody crazy! It was a sight to behold. I don’t think there was a single person there not singing at the top of their voice.

I tried to get the band back up, but John OD was making savage finger movements across his throat. We had run over already by 15 minutes, the punters were up for anything and we had to draw the curtain.

Poor old Diva Dad John (and the late coming – and by ‘late’ I mean 10 o’clock, which would normally be ideal! – Diva Lizzie) had to go without. Sorry guys. Next time.

Gosh!

No comments:

Post a Comment