Friday 2 July 2010

The Joys of Mediocrity 1


We are surrounded, in this world of instant communication, with people that are (rightly or wrongly) given appellations of superlative nature and our televisions, radios, cinemas, music players and concerts are filled with talents that we mortals can only admire. Aspiration might be available to all in equal measure, but the ability to achieve the pinnacle of any discipline is denied most of us. This is because most of us are, sadly, mediocre at best…

I say ‘sadly’, but there isn’t really any reason to get emotional about it. We have two choices when confronting our mediocrity: do something about it or not. And the line is drawn very high, because if you practise something, you must practise with the aim of achieving some degree of perfection – anything less is dooming yourself to more mediocrity.

I wish I had known this as a child – or perhaps I should say, I wish I had taken the clues and hints that exist along the route of my early life, for I sincerely doubt there were none. I’m certain no-one laid it out on a plate for me, but I’m equally certain that I must have come across clues for the total dedication needed to become a master at something.

In my case, my desire was to be a musician – a guitarist. Almost from the word go I was looking for easier ways to achieve this and, in my naivety, I figured that being bassist would help me. I also managed to fill my head with proto-punk thinking that training and lessons were for snobs and elitists and I would have no truck with such nonsense.

What a shame. As my mediocre progression has taken place over 35 years, I see now that I could indeed have become a decent – even worthy – player had I had the discipline to learn my instruments properly. As it is, I now have the habit and inclination for half-hearted practise and very little chance for mastery…

But this is not to say I will ever give up. I have kitted myself out with what I have and I can certainly improve upon it, but the music I create delights me – however mediocre it might be. I don’t thrust it upon anyone, I play when invited, I record my music and make it public, should anyone stumble across it and find it acceptable (or even, heaven forbid) enjoyable.

Too often mediocrity is scorned, too often the access that the masters have to the broadcasting of ideas means that anything less than brilliant is poo-pooed and the throngs of the mediocre are repressed into feeling inadequate and, most tragically, giving up on whatever discipline they have half-heartedly chosen.

To this end you get comments such as one I heard some years ago when a local band was playing and I was on my way to see them. I asked a friend if he wanted to come along. “Why would I want to do that?” he responded with genuine and even insulted incredulity. “I have CDs of Led Zeppelin at home and in my car!”

I find the attitude scandalous. It applies a lot to amateur drama, too – another field I have experience in and a love for. And I have never practised or studied drama, but I have a natural aptitude to it that is of a decent level. There are others in my drama group that do have something of a discipline in this area as well as the aptitude and they are excellent actors – not superlatively good, but good enough to pull off the most difficult of productions with considerable aplomb… Yet the masses stay away and even turn their noses up at the thought of seeing ‘amateur’ drama.

Of course, it is more fool them, but it is also detrimental to the group, which, as the snobbery is perpetuated, declines in terms of finances and finds itself struggling to put on the sort of productions it is capable of.

So, I want to start (ha!) a change in mind-set. Let’s rejoice in mediocrity. We are, most of us, mediocre anyway. Why not cling together and support each other. I’m not saying we should praise something that doesn’t deserve it, but we should be willing to see the efforts of others and, in doing so – I guarantee – we will witness some wonderful performances or productions or creations along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment